Tuesday 21 May 2013

Just a wee niggle!

Had fun tonight at the ATHelite swim session practising our open water technique in our wetsuits. Learned how to sight - i.e. swim in a straight line - more difficult than it sounds! After all, the lake we'll be swimming in does not have lane markers or a nice blue line on the bottom to follow. Without good sighting you can end up swimming much further than you need to - and 3.8km is just far enough, thank you very much.
Learned how to turn around the buoys correctly, using a combination of front crawl and backstroke… somewhat faster than resorting to breast-stroke like I did at the London triathlon in September last year.
We also practised our open water starting technique… that will be fun with another 2500 people in the water!
After a few lengths of the pool I think the adrenaline had kicked in and worn off - I was struggling after that! Just in time to start a hypoxic training session - breathing every 3, 5, 7 and then 9 strokes… almost killed me off but I survived. Just.
Got some great feedback on my swimming stroke from Jack, so I now have a few more things to hone before race day… life is all about learning.

Back to the house and onto the treadmill. It should have been an hour long interval session but after the first few intervals, my left knee started to niggle. Rather than pushing on and causing more damage, I decided enough was enough and cut the session short. First time I've had to do that in a long, long time. Prevention is definitely better than cure, so hopefully I've nipped this in the bud before it stops any further training. Despite all the technology of GPS watches and heart rate monitors, sometimes you just have to listen to the body and act on the warnings it gives you! I'll check it out again tomorrow, hopefully I'll be as fit as a flea and back on track!

No comments:

Total Pageviews