Monday 6 May 2013

I *can* do this!

Another great day of training on Saturday - a long, windy, fast ride with the ATHelite club around the roads of South Lanarkshire.



At times, I thought I was going to be blown off the bike - having 52mm deep set carbon wheels is not ideal in windy conditions, however, when sheltered from the elements, they're absolutely great! I managed to hang on to some really strong riders in the pack and attacked all of the hills as much as my scrawny calves would let me! 

We made great progress, and an average speed of 26 km/hr in those conditions was pretty good going - the last hour or so we averaged over 30 km/hr (or ~20 mph).

Still buzzing from the ride, I got back and quenched my thirst with a protein shake and thought I'd see how my legs would cope with a run. Ideally I'd have stayed outside, but trying to be in at least the same building as the rest of the family I decided to use the treadmill. What started out as a gentle 15 minute run turned into an easy hour long session - I was sorely tempted to do another hour (to cover time taken for 13 miles and therefore half IM distance) but decided to get lunch (by this time 3 pm.), take the kids to badminton and walk the dogs down by the River Clyde.

I was really surprised at how easy the run felt after such a hard cycle. The Chi running technique has significantly helped with this and I am almost evangelical when talking with other runners!

My confidence is now up as I can really see significant improvements in my fitness over the last few months. What seemed like a totally impossible dream ~24 months ago following knee surgery is now only 54 days away. I'll sure there will be a few more ups and downs along the way - but I can't wait! Bring it on!


No comments:

Total Pageviews