Tuesday 5 March 2013

Hello Belstane!

A big shout out to my registration class, Belstane, who worked out today that I am officially mad. They'd suspected this for quite some time but on explaining the 2.4 mile (3800m) open-water swim, followed by 112 mile (180km) bike ride and 26.2 mile (42km) run that makes up an Ironman, the looks on their faces quite clearly read "Our teacher is insane". I nodded in agreement and smiled the smile of a man who should really be buttoning up his white coat at the back... Don't knock straitjackets, they're surprisingly snug when you get the buckles just right….  ;-)

My S1 boys played their first away game yesterday and did the school proud. We took on one of the local S.F.A. football Academies (Braidhurst High School in Motherwell) and were beaten 12-1. At no point however, did my guys stop trying. The didn't challenge any decisions by the ref and fought (cleanly) for every ball. They maybe have been outplayed on the day but they enjoyed themselves and celebrated like they'd won the Champions League when they scored their goal. Braidhurst very sportingly allowed us to field all 3 of our subs (so we were 14 playing 11) for the last 10-15 minutes and it was really great to see so many young people out in the open air taking part in sport.  

This is (hopefully) the legacy of the 2012 Olympics and the seeds of the future for the Glasgow Commonwealth Games in 2012 and beyond. You don't need to be great, you don't have to win but you do need to take part - get involved. Instead of watching another dreary 30 minute soap, get your trainers on and walk / jog round the block - I guarantee you'll get more out of it!!!

On a totally random note, my brother-in-law got me this brilliant sign for my birthday - it now has pride of place on my classroom door:





No comments:

Total Pageviews